Alt EmpordàSee properties
The area of Alt Empordà, Costa Brava
The Alt Empordà area
The Alt Empordà is a comarca (county) in the province of Girona, located in the northeastern part of Catalonia, Spain. It is bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the east, the Pyrenees to the north, and the comarques of Gironès, Pla de l’Estany, and Garrotxa to the south and west.
The Alt Empordà has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its beautiful landscapes, including the Cap de Creus natural park, the Aiguamolls de l’Empordà natural park, and the beaches along the Costa Brava. The area is also famous for its traditional cuisine, which includes dishes such as “suquet de peix” (fish stew), “bullinada” (bull’s tail stew), and “empedrat” (a salad made with beans, tomatoes, and onions).
The Alt Empordà has a long history, and its towns and villages are full of historic monuments and buildings. Some of the most notable include the Sant Pere de Rodes monastery, the ruins of Empúries (an ancient Greek and Roman city), and the medieval town of Pals.
This location is a popular destination for tourists who come to enjoy its natural beauty, history, and culture. It is also a great place to participate in outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, and water sports.
The nature of Alt Empordà
The Alt Empordà is a comarca (county) in Catalonia, Spain, known for its diverse and beautiful natural landscapes. Here are some of the most notable natural features of the area:
- The Cap de Creus Natural Park: This is a rugged peninsula located at the easternmost point of the Iberian Peninsula. It is characterized by dramatic cliffs, rocky coves, and beautiful beaches, and is home to a variety of flora and fauna.
- The Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park: This wetland area is located between the town of Castelló d’Empúries and the Gulf of Roses. It is home to a variety of bird species, including flamingos, herons, and ducks, and is also an important breeding ground for fish.
The Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park:
- The Albera Range: This mountain range is located in the northeastern part of the Alt Empordà and forms part of the Pyrenees. It is characterized by rugged peaks, deep valleys, and forests of oak and pine.
- The Gulf of Roses: This is a large bay located on the eastern coast of the Alt Empordà. It is characterized by crystal-clear waters and beautiful beaches, and is a popular destination for water sports such as swimming, snorkeling, and windsurfing.
- The Empordà Plain: This is a fertile plain located in the southern part of the Alt Empordà. It is characterized by gentle hills, fields of crops, and small villages, and is a popular destination for hiking and cycling.
The Alt Empordà is a beautiful and diverse region that offers a wide range of natural attractions for visitors to enjoy.
Activities and sports to do in Alt Empordà
The Alt Empordà is a comarca (county) in Catalonia, Spain that offers a wide range of outdoor activities and sports for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the most popular activities and sports to do in the area:
- Hiking: The Alt Empordà has a number of hiking trails that allow visitors to explore the region’s natural beauty. Some popular trails include the GR-11 long-distance trail that passes through the Pyrenees and the coastal Camí de Ronda that runs along the Costa Brava.
- Cycling: The region’s quiet roads and scenic countryside make it a great destination for cycling. There are a number of bike rental companies in the area, and some hotels and resorts offer guided bike tours.
- Water sports: The Alt Empordà has a long coastline that is perfect for water sports such as swimming, snorkeling, windsurfing, and kayaking. The Gulf of Roses is a popular destination for these activities.
- Golf: The region has several golf courses, including the Golf de Pals and the Empordà Golf Club, which offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Horse riding: There are several stables in the area that offer horseback riding tours of the region’s forests and countryside.
- Wine tasting: The Alt Empordà is home to several wineries that produce a variety of wines, including the Denominació d’Origen Empordà. Visitors can take guided tours of the wineries and taste the local wines.
- Cultural visits: The Alt Empordà is rich in history and culture, and there are several museums, art galleries, and historic monuments to explore. Some of the most popular include the Salvador Dalí Museum in Figueres, the Sant Pere de Rodes monastery, and the ancient ruins of Empúries.
These are just some of the many activities and sports to do in the Alt Empordà. Whether you are looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, this region has something for everyone.
Gastronomy in the Alt Empordà
The gastronomy of the Alt Empordà is one of the most notable in the Catalonia region of Spain. The area is famous for its dishes that reflect the influence of the Mediterranean and its location between the sea and the mountains. Here are some of the most typical dishes and products of the region:
- Suquet de peix: This is a fish stew made with local fish such as monkfish, red scorpionfish, or hake, and served with potatoes, onions, and a garlic and paprika-based sauce.
- Bullinada: This is a traditional stew made with bull’s tail, vegetables, and served with rice or potatoes.
- Empedrat: This is a salad made with beans, tomatoes, onions, cod, and black olives.
- Arròs amb llagosta: This is a lobster and rice dish that is a specialty of the region.
- Escudella i carn d’olla: This is a hearty soup made with meat, potatoes, and vegetables.
Escudella i carn d’olla
- Butifarra: This is a type of sausage that is popular throughout Catalonia. It is made with pork and spices and is often served grilled with white beans.
- Wine: The Alt Empordà is home to several wineries that produce a variety of wines, including the Denominació d’Origen Empordà. The wines are made with local grape varieties such as Garnatxa and Carinyena, and are known for their quality and unique flavor.
In addition to these traditional dishes, the Alt Empordà is also known for its sweets, such as “recuit de drap” (a type of cheese dessert), “mel i mató” (honey and cottage cheese), and “panellets” (small almond cakes).
Overall, the gastronomy of the Alt Empordà is a reflection of the region’s rich history and cultural heritage. It is a must-try for anyone visiting the area.
Culture in Alt Empordà
The Alt Empordà is a region in Catalonia, Spain that is steeped in history and culture. Here are some of the most notable cultural attractions and events in the area:
- Dalí Theatre-Museum: This museum in Figueres is dedicated to the life and work of Salvador Dalí, one of the most famous artists of the 20th century. The museum is housed in a building that was once a theater and is now a surrealistic masterpiece of its own.
- Roman ruins of Empúries: Located in the coastal town of L’Escala, these ruins are the remains of a Roman city that was founded in the 6th century BC. Visitors can explore the ruins of the ancient city and see the impressive mosaics and other artifacts.
- Sant Pere de Rodes monastery: This 11th-century monastery is located in the mountains above the town of Port de la Selva. It is considered one of the most important examples of Romanesque architecture in Catalonia.
- Castell de Sant Ferran: This fortress in Figueres is one of the largest in Europe, and was built in the 18th century to defend against French invasion. It offers stunning views of the city and the surrounding countryside.
- Festivals: The Alt Empordà is home to several festivals throughout the year, including the Festa Major de Roses, the Fira de l’Oli de Pau (olive oil festival), and the Fira de la Cervesa Artesana (craft beer festival).
- Local crafts: The Alt Empordà is known for its traditional crafts such as pottery, textiles, and leather goods. Visitors can explore the local markets and shops to see these crafts firsthand.
- Music and dance: The region has a rich musical and dance tradition, with traditional Catalan dances such as the sardana often performed at festivals and events.
Transport and connections in Alt Empordà
The Alt Empordà region is well-connected by various means of transportation. Here are some of the options available for getting around the area:
- Car: One of the easiest and most convenient ways to get around the Alt Empordà is by car. The region is well-connected by a network of highways and secondary roads, and there are plenty of car rental agencies in the area.
- Train: The region is served by several train stations, including those in Figueres, Vilajuïga, and Portbou. Trains run frequently and connect the area with major cities in Catalonia and other parts of Spain.
- Bus: There are several bus companies that operate in the region, providing connections to neighboring towns and cities. The bus network is especially useful for getting to smaller towns and villages that may not have train stations.
- Bicycle: The Alt Empordà is a popular destination for cycling enthusiasts, and there are several bike rental companies in the area. Many of the roads in the region are relatively flat, making it easy to explore the area on two wheels.
- Taxi: Taxis are available throughout the region, and can be a good option for getting around if you don’t want to rent a car.
Family life in Alt Empordà
The Alt Empordà is a great place to raise a family, thanks to its combination of natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and modern amenities. Here are some of the reasons why the region is such a popular destination for families:
- Outdoor activities: The Alt Empordà is home to a variety of outdoor activities that are perfect for families, including hiking, cycling, and water sports. The region’s beaches are especially popular with families, thanks to their calm waters and wide variety of amenities.
Family-friendly attractions: There are plenty of attractions in the region that are geared towards families, such as the Butterfly Park Empuriabrava, the Aqua Brava Water Park, and the Toy Museum of Catalonia. Aqua Brava Water Park
- Education: The region has a well-developed educational system, with a variety of public and private schools to choose from. There are also several international schools in the area, making it a popular destination for families from around the world.
- Healthcare: The Alt Empordà has a modern healthcare system, with several hospitals and clinics in the area. The region also has a variety of specialized healthcare providers, including pediatricians and obstetricians.
- Community: The region has a strong sense of community, with plenty of social and cultural events throughout the year. There are also several expat groups and organizations in the area, making it easy for families to connect with others who share their interests and backgrounds.
Overall, the Alt Empordà is a great place to raise a family, with plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventure, education, and cultural enrichment. Whether you’re looking for a quiet village or a bustling beach town, you’re sure to find a community that suits your family’s needs in this beautiful region of Catalonia.
Real estate market in Alt Empordà.
The Alt Empordà region is a popular destination for both local and international buyers looking for a property in a beautiful and culturally-rich area. Here is an overview of the real estate market in Alt Empordà:
- Property types: The region has a variety of properties for sale, ranging from traditional stone houses in quaint villages to modern villas and apartments with sea views. There are also opportunities to purchase land for development or renovation projects.
- Prices: The cost of property in Alt Empordà varies depending on location, size, and condition. Prices tend to be higher in coastal areas and popular tourist destinations, but there are still bargains to be found in quieter villages and rural areas. Overall, prices in the region are relatively affordable compared to other coastal regions in Spain.
- Demand: The demand for property in Alt Empordà has been steadily increasing in recent years, with both domestic and international buyers attracted to the area’s natural beauty, cultural heritage, and quality of life. This demand has led to a shortage of available properties in some areas, particularly in popular coastal towns.
- Legal process: The process of purchasing a property in Alt Empordà is similar to that in other parts of Spain. Buyers will need to obtain a NIE (Foreigner’s Identification Number), find a property they are interested in, make an offer, and sign a contract. It is recommended to work with a reputable real estate agent and a lawyer to ensure a smooth and legal transaction.
- Rental potential: Properties in Alt Empordà have strong rental potential, particularly in coastal areas during the peak summer months. There are also opportunities for long-term rentals and holiday lets throughout the year.
The Alt Empordà region has a diverse economy, with opportunities for employment in a variety of sectors. Here are some of the main industries and types of jobs available in the area:
- Tourism: The tourism industry is one of the main sources of employment in Alt Empordà, particularly during the peak summer months. There are opportunities in hospitality, restaurants, tour operators, and other related businesses.
- Agriculture: The region is known for its agriculture, particularly in the production of wine, olive oil, and fruit. There are opportunities for employment in farming, as well as in processing and distribution of agricultural products.
- Manufacturing: The Alt Empordà has a small but growing manufacturing industry, with opportunities in sectors such as textiles, plastics, and machinery.
- Services: The region has a variety of service-based businesses, including healthcare, education, finance, and professional services.
- Entrepreneurship: The Alt Empordà is a popular destination for entrepreneurs, with a growing startup scene and a supportive business community.
Overall, while the job market in Alt Empordà may not be as large or diverse as in larger cities, there are still opportunities for employment in a variety of sectors. The region’s natural beauty, rich culture, and high quality of life make it an attractive destination for both job seekers and entrepreneurs.
Security in Alt Empordà
Alt Empordà is a relatively safe and peaceful region, with a low crime rate compared to many other parts of Spain and Europe. The region has a well-equipped and professional police force, as well as a strong emergency services network that includes hospitals, fire departments, and search and rescue teams.
In terms of natural disasters, Alt Empordà is prone to occasional flooding and wildfires, particularly during the dry summer months. The local authorities have established well-coordinated emergency response plans to deal with these situations, including early warning systems and evacuation procedures.
However, as with any destination, visitors and residents should take reasonable precautions to ensure their personal safety and security. This includes keeping valuables secure, being aware of your surroundings, and taking appropriate measures to protect yourself against the sun and other environmental hazards.
Our real estate agencies in Alt Empordà
Coldwell Banker Lux Real Estate+ 34 972 457 048
Av. Joan Carles 1, Sector Peni 87-a 17487 Empuriabrava